Sunday, March 17, 2013

CityTri Propsect Park Duathlon Race Report

The 2013 campaign is officially underway.  My first multisport race of the year was the CityTri Prospect Park Duathlon.  I decided to race the Classic distance- 5K Run, 13.3 Mile Bike, 5K run.  The other options were a sprint and Intermediate.  While the longer distance would not pose any issues, I am using my early season racing as speed work training sessions, so shorter is fine.  I have enough longer pre IM LP racing on the schedule too, so this race was about speed.

My goal for the race was to run my first 5 k in about 21 minutes, do the bike in 36 and do the second 5 K in about 21:30 or faster.  The weather was cold but dry and not windy- perfect racing conditions.  The pre race organization was a bit crazy- you had to wait in one line for your race number and a second for your chip, but I was early so not stressed at all.  There were only 2 porta potties but lines were short (I did find a third one about 300 yards from the start area).

Transition area was a bit tight and a broad mix of athletes and bikes.  About 1/3 were hybrid, 1/2 road with clip ons (some) and the rest were high end tri bikes.  But I had a good spot at the end of a rack.  As for my set up, I went with my Zipp 101's, a single bottle between the aero bars and my old Shimano TR 51's shoes with neoprene toe covers.  I wore my Sparta Tri trisuit with a long sleeve compression top and a Sufferfest wind vest and lightweight gloves (gloves I got from the 10K Relay Race the sherpa and I did in Feb).  For the first run I wore a knit cap, on the bike I wore my Rudy Wingspan aero helmet and Rudy Noyz Glasses with red lenses (great for low light).  I wore a visor for the second 5 K and both runs were done in my Zoot Kiawes (These are the greatest running shoes I have ever owned- light, Tri specific and super fast).

On to the race.

The Intermediate guys went first since they were doing a 10K to start and had a bunch of loops and turns to contend with.  For us in the classic, we had a short loop on center drive in Prospect Park followed by a longer loop around the lake before coming back to T1.  My plan was to run at a 6:45 pace per mile for the first 5K.  However once the race started I was closer to a 6:25 pace since there was a large pack.  I felt smooth and strong, especially after I passed the small loop and really settled in.  If this had been a 5K race I think I could have held sub 6 based on the way I felt and the relative flat course. 

Coming into T1 I was focused on the bike and thinking through what I needed to do for a fast transition.  I took off my cap as I ran into the transition area and put my sunglasses and helmet on.  Then running shoes off, grab the bike & go.  I use a flying mount and my tri shoes are pre clipped in so no wasting time getting them on.

Run 1- 19:55
T1- 32 Seconds

Bike- 4 Laps around prospect park.  Each Lap about 3.3 miles.  The bike start puts you right on the bottom of hill- plenty of time to get geared in and my feet in the shoes, but climbing soon.  The hill is not crazy hard or long, but you definitely go up.  For each lap I stayed aero and spun up in my 39/19 or 21.  I felt very strong on the bike- took the first lap a bit easy to recon the course and make sure I knew where to hammer and where to be careful.  The only downside of the course was people and their dogs- a lot were not on leashes which is a bit scary at 35 mph.  But I did not hit any dogs.  I passed everyone but one guy (the guy who won).  I hammered hard on the bike, but not to the point I had nothing left.  I have not seen the splits of everyone else, but I should have the fastest bike - or at the least the second fastest.

Bike- 35:41
T2- 26 Seconds

Starting the second 5 K my legs were definitely screaming, but I pushed a steady pace and more importantly I was breathing easy (well easyish).  I did get passed by two guys soon after T2- and they were definitely faster runners than me so I settled into my pace.  The first mile was at 7, however miles 2 and 3 were at 6:35 each- yeah I was happy with that.  I did get passed by one other guy about 300 yards from the finish- I kicked too soon and he was able to beat me by 5 seconds. (good lesson learned)

Run 2- 21:31

Total 1:18:05  5th Overall, 1st in My AG.

I am very happy with the performance (placing is great too- but this race is part of the plan for IMLP success).  I know for sure my off season training using Spinverals DVD's has been a huge part of my success.  I am running and riding faster which is leading to some strong early season results.


2 comments: