Sunday, May 18, 2014

Ironman Texas Race Report

I had big plans when I signed up for this race in 2013.  Big plans.

But life and work demanded more time.

So about 6 weeks ago I readjusted my mindset, I would approach this race with two goals in mind- finishing because Ironman racing is HARD and finishing matters.  The second goal was to run a sub 4 marathon.  I knew that meant I would need to stay very conservative on the bike.  But before I dig into the details let me back up a bit.

As most of you reading this know I am huge believer in Coach Troy Jacobson and Spinervals, the indoor training videos for cycling.  I decided to use Coach Troy's coaching services after meeting him last year at the IM Lake Placid Training camp (which I highly recommend).  Troy built a good plan for me- lot of aerobic work early in the winter building in volume and intensity as race got closer.  As a lot of you know my work schedule put me on road a lot and that definitely impacted my ability to get longer sessions in, but I felt that while I was not optimal I would be able to have a good race if I was smart, paid attention to the little details like eating, drinking, salt and not not not burning matches.

Before I get to race day, I have to share 3 really awesome things about the race and who was able to come to be there.

1)Tony and Keiko Flores, two of the greatest people you will ever meet decided to come to the race.  I met Keiko and Tony through the Spinervals Facebook Page  and thy are both nothing short of Awesome.  Awesome with a Capital A.  A couple reasons why- last year before I road in the Hell of Hunterdon- a Belgian style road race in Hunterdon County NJ including 20 miles of dirt roads they sent me some Lion of Flanders Sock (epic cool).  Second for my birthday last year they sent me an awesome Life is Good Cycling tee-shirt, when I got by the car last fall, they sent me a care package which was so uplifting for me as I struggled to get back to training.  But most important they are great people who I am so lucky to count as friends.

2) Two running teammates from the ReachTheBeach #wimp team- Anu Rao & Nagesh Padiyar also came to the race.  Anu is an Ironman (IMAZ) and Nagesh has run over 20 marathons and they rock.  Anu also volunteered at Aid Station 1- which when I get to the race details I will share how good it was to see a friendly face early in the race. Seeing both of them at the swim and on the run was a huge motivational booster.

3) Super Sherpa- Nothing needs to be said other than BEST DAM SHERPA.  Alison again rocked from checkin, race morning, race updating to post race.  I could not do these races without her help.


Unfortunately Sue and the kids could not make the trip- the girls had Girls on the Run, Sue had a wedding and Trent had his Senior prom.  I missed them very much as having them with me at IMLP was so awesome.

Okay let's get to race week.

I flew into Houston on Tuesday afternoon- which was a good move.  Allowed me to get my bike put back together, check in on Wednesday and get a lot of work done.  Race Check in and the Expo was outside, right next to the finish line.  The expo was pretty good- and I bought my usual IM mix of gear- Visor, MDot name T-shirt, race pint glass, water bottle and sticker.  I also got a tshirt for each of the girls, sherpa and a visor for tdog.  This year the race back pack was pretty nice and had a cool IM branded folding bike wrench as part of the swag.


After check in, I had a lot of work with clients to do so I spent the next two days focused on my job- the one that pays me...

Sherpa flew in early on Friday morning and we took care of bike and gear bag check in early on Friday morning.  For those of you who have not done an IM, you must check your bike and gear bags in the day before. And unlike a lot of races where your transition area is next to your bike, your gear is stored in different bags- one for the bike (which doubles as your swim bag) and one for the run.  You put your bike shoes, helmet, glasses or run kit, etc in each.  IM does not allow AG races to clip pedals in pre race.  But honestly that is okay.

That is me and my bags.  The super bright white on my legs is only my skin, no compression socks on, and as you can see it was Sunny in Texas.

After I got my gear dropped off (and yes you do have access to your bags in the morning to put your nutrition/ last minute supplies), we went back to the hotel to relax.  I spent much of the day with my feet up and did very little.  Tony and Keiko met us for dinner which was great and allowed me to take my mind off the race a bit.  I really think one of the hardest times of an IM is the period between bike drop off and the canon.  Those 15-18 hours are tough.  Your mind thinks about what could go right, wrong and everything in between.  And once we got back to the hotel my mind went into overdrive for a while making sleep tough.  Well that and the Dave Matthews concert, the police cars racing around with sirens blaring and the people having sex in the room next to me.  The second two are what the are, but the DMB concert the night before an IM- not cool- way too loud.

Race morning the alarm went off at 3- I easily could have gone with 4, but the extra hour of eating, coffee, non porto time was good.  I woke up feeling good, but only got about 3 solid hours of sleep.  I was able to eat reasonably well- some oatmeal, bagel thins and applesauce. I fixed a bottle of Skratch for the walk over to Transition and the Swim start and we left the room at 4:45.  The hotel was great- they had a spread of water, granola bars, bananas and coffee set up.  Really good job on their part.  And it was only 1/2 mile from transition so we walked.  The morning was warm and WINDY.  Did I mention windy...

We got into transition easily, I loaded my bottles and put my garmin on the bike.  I then put the final things in my Bike and Run bags (added socks for the bike because there was no need/ benefit to go sockless for me). And then we began the easy walk to the swim start.  Having Sherpa with me just makes it easier, a joke or two and some positive encouragement- she know her athlete well.  And she should be a coach, but that is a topic for another day...  The swim start was on the other side of the lake.  I had gotten an easy practice swim in on Friday and due to the heavy rain earlier in the week IMTX was wetsuit legal for the first time!  Once we got to the start, I dropped off my Bike and Run special needs bags- basically bags you can put in extra nutrition, gear or heck whatever you might need out on course (and can access typically in the middle of each leg) and then sat and relaxed.  I try to be at Transition for any race first so I don't ever feel like I am rushed.

I decided I would start getting my wetsuit on at 6:15.  Below are some pictures those of you who have put on a WS might get a chuckle or two.



There is a video, but I am not sharing that one...

And as the pros got in the water, I started to think through the day.  And yes it was gonna be a wild hair day for sure!



The swim at IMTX is a one loop, in water mass start. You swim about 1300 Meters out, 1300 back and the the final 1200 are up the canal to T1.   I got in relatively early and swam over to the far side of the lake.  When the canon went off, there were still people trying to get in.  IMTX definitely could benefit from a TT rolling start like at IMLP, but mass in water is what you get.  When the canon started I quickly settled into a fast but relatively relaxed pace.  I actually had clear water for about 200 meters.  Then I didn't...

What I had instead was a nasty, rough, violent, washing machine.  I got hit on the head, kicked in gut, my nose was picked- yup.  I almost got some feet in the chin- just just missed that.  The turn buoys were the worst.  And to the A**holes that think frog kicking is a good idea- well you suck.  I had an interesting observation while on the swim about IM racing specifically.  Before we get in the water there is a lot of nervous encouragement, while in the water we are Mortal Enemies, on the bike we are wary competitors (better not draft on me...) but on the run we are cheerleaders and support for each other.   The swim was even worse on the return leg until I slipped my way towards the shore line- fewer people there and I got a better line.  The easiest part of the swim was the canal- I stayed right until we swam under the last bridge and then moved center.  I came out of the water and made my way to the Male changing tent, with a quick stop to pee in the Porto. When I looked at my watch I was happy with the 1:15.  The swim was much rougher compared to IMLP where I swam a 1:12.

Swim time was 1:15:39
T1 6:42

T1 smooth and slow - which meant fast.  First was socks and bike shoes.  Then Bike jersey- full zip so I just zipped it up.  Nutrition was preloaded.  One arm sleeve on, then helmet and glasses.  Wetsuit, goggles and swim cap back in the back and hand off to a volunteer.  I had a good bike position- second in so I saw my orange bars, turned on the Garmin and made my way out to the mount line.  I was completely relaxed, stayed up and spun my legs to get them ready for the 112 miles.  I saw Sherpa, Anu & Nagesh right on my way out which was great!.  Coach Troy and I had discussed my goals- One finish and second run a sub 4 on the run.  But I did not have a finish time goal, which meant we put zero pressure on the bike.  The plan was ride smart, ride easy, don't push, don't burn matches, etc.

The first two hours, the promised tail wind was in my left and right front- yeah a cross/head wind.  Intermittent, but still a signal that it was going to be tough. But I was relaxed, did not push at all, and kept my fueling going well.  Passing mile 40 or so, the head wind changed to steady- mind you the conventional wisdom was expect a tailwind to mile sixty, then expect a headwind until mile 90 or so.  F conventional wisdom is all I am going to say... At mile 50 I realized I had to pee, but instead of peeing off the bike, I decided to stop at the next aid station and use the porto.  Good call, as I took off my helmet, put water directly on my head, ate another unctrustable, had a salt stick and some water.  I ended up using this approach at every aid station on the rest of the course- it helped me as I began to struggle in the wind.   The wind really bothered me and I think the biggest driver in the was lack of outside riding this year.  Sadly getting hit last fall has made me gun shy to ride outside.  I just don't want to risk it.  And that lack of recent experience in wind, especially on really long rides hurt.  The last 20 miles really sucked for me as I really wanted to close my eyes and go to sleep.  The only thing I was able to get in besides some sports drink was a couple of bananas but I knew I was in a bonk and needed some sugar fast.  So I rode mostly sitting up into T2.  Never have I been so happy get ready for a marathon!

Bike 6:28:07
T2: 6:42

When I got off thee bike I handed it to a volunteer and walked to my Bike bag.  I took my helmet and sunglasses off, along with my jersey and armsleeves. I was not rushing at all, but was deliberate and had a plan.  I got into the tent, sat down and got my gear out first.  Then I took my bike shoes off along with my bike socks.  Put on socks and running shoes, race number belt, fuel belt hydration belt, race hat and new sunglasses.  Everything else went back in the bag and I stood and handed off to a volunteer.  Then I walked out of T2.  The plan I made on the last few miles of the bike was to walk to the first aid station, get some coke and then see how I felt.  Essentially would I be able to run, or was I in for an Incredibly long walk.

I hit the first aid station and immediately ran into Anu.  Happiness is a friendly face!  We briefly chatted, I got some coke and ice and walked some more. I decided that I would walk over the lake bridge and then start running when I got the swim start- and then take it from there. The coke definitely worked as I immediately started to regain energy and a will to start the run.  I ran the rest of the first loop, only walking through aid stations for coke, water and bananas.  And I felt GREAT.  I saw Sherpa and Nagesh and ran right by.  I was running easy at about an 8:40 pace and felt like sub 4 was a potential option.



The run course is a great 3 loop flat, well spectated course along the water way.  It does have some heavy sun sections and parts of the backside are a bit devoid of fans.  But this was the best run course I have been on- even better than IMLP- mostly because it is flat.

However as I ran to Aid Station 8- around mile 8, the wheels well they came off and I slammed in the brick wall of oh shit I have Nothing left.  The coke I was drinking every Aid Station and the bananas just were not giving me energy.  My mind was clear, my body did not hurt, but I lost my pace.  And had to walk.  So I decided to walk until the I back to the crowds and feed off their energy to run to Aid Station 1.  As I was running I saw Tony and Keiko.  And stopped to say hello.


Seeing both of them was great, and help me get to the next aid station.  I saw Anu said hello and grabbed some more water and coke.  I walked then next section and did some running- but more walking on lap 2.  Lap 2 sucks.  Below is the Sherpa and Me talking about the next lap 


She pretty much said get going- just kidding.  Her words of support were huge (as well as everything else she does on race day!) Good news is I felt better as I got towards the end of lap 2.  The crowds on the waterway made each of us feel like a million bucks, and the lack of hills made the course at least easier...

But it was still tough mentally just realizing how many hours you still have to go walk/ running at x pace.  halfway through the 3 rd lap I started talking with a guy from Texas named Kenny.  He was doing his first IM so we ended up walking/ running together and that helped pass the time.  And finally we made it back to the waterway.  The best thing about this race, which is very similar to IMLP is the fan support- lap three at 8:30 it was still crowded with tons of fans.  My new buddy Kenny and I made it through mile 24, then 25 and then passed the last aid station.  We we finally ready to finish!

I entered  finish shoot- which is a down and back and tried to high 5 as many people as I could.  I had a tough day, but the fans helped me out all throughout the run and I really enjoyed those 30 seconds.  I had a big smile on my face as crossed the line and heard the Voice!  

This race required me to focus, win little battles and stay tough for such a long time.  I really needed an iron will to get through it. As Coach Troy has said, and I second- Ironman Racing is Really Hard.  This is a long day- even when you do everything right.  So crossing the line in my slowest race by far is still a great day.  I am not disappointed at all.  I know how hard I had to work and finishing means so much to me.

Run :5:58:18 (SIX hours...)
Total: 13:55:30

Here is the gear that we covet during the day.


And here I am with my pajama bottoms on just after crossing the line.  I love this picture- it captures everything about this day...

Thank you all for the support, the tracking & encouragement.  IMTX is like all Ironman Races, hard.  But the finish line is worth it- everytime!

3 comments:

  1. hmmm tried to post comment; let me try again. Awesome write up about the weekend's events. Awesome on surviving the nasty frog kickers and the brutal and infamous Tejas wind that gusts strong when it gets a whiff of cyclists ! Great job; congrats !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pete. The wind was nasty- did I mention that. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff. As you can see from my report, we had a very similar take on the bike course. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete