Sunday, April 21, 2013

A week I don't think I will ever forget.

Much has been written, shared, filmed and posted about the terrorist attacks on the Boston Marathon and the subsequent capture of the remaining scum who did this.  This post might be a bit of that, but more about what it means to me, what I and my friends have done and will continue to do. 

First I have never run Boston.  I am a triathlete so Kona is my nirvana and I will qualify sooner rather than later to finish on Ali'i drive.  But I understand what Boston is to runners- heck I want to race at Boston just because I love running too.  And more importantly my Mom is a multi Boston finisher & Super Sherpa and my Step Dad have spectated multiple times RIGHT AT THE Place the bombs went off.  So while they weren't there this year (glad mom needed surgery for a meniscus tear), it hits home, close.  Furthermore I had 4 friends running- One who absolutely Crushed the course, PR'd by 8 minutes and ran a 3:24.  She and two others are fellow RtB wimps, plus she is a Van Won wimp so that makes it even cooler.  I am proud of her accomplishment and feel so bad at the same time- an 8 Minute PR at the most Iconic Marathon in the world coupled with a terrible senseless attack.  How dare those terrorists ruin what she worked so hard for.  Instead of celebrating, we grieve for the loss of life and life changing injuries. 

I also had another RtBer who had a bit of different day.  She is a great running- put her on a road and she can run forever.  50 miles in 20 degree temps- no problem.  She is a multiple Boston finisher and this year was one where she was a nursing an injury but it is "the race" so she toed the line.  Like many, I was tracking my runners as they hit the timing mats along the storied course.  And one by one they crossed the line.  And my last runner was just about there.  All of sudden I got an alert on my phone via my Eurosport app (which gives great cycling coverage) that there was a bomb explosion at the Boston Marathon.  Immediately I turned on the TV, checked FB and Twitter and started getting updates.  Quickly my first 3 runners were able to post they were safe, but Runner number 4 was MIA.  What followed was a 20 minute stretch of fear and concern that she could have been in the maelstrom.  Thankfully there were some posts on FB reporting that she was okay- in fact she ended up in a stranger's apartment (well after what happened, strangers became lifesavers) in dry clothes drinking a beer.  Time to do a quick happy dance.

Later in the day, Super Sherpa and I had a good phone call.  Simply chatting about the day made me feel better & I hope she as well.  Having her with me on my greatest days is nothing short of special.  Seeing your family on course as you race is such an uplifting experience, and my sherpa does it so well (BTW she is a 10 time marathon finisher and my RtB Captain so she has some Serious running chops).  Last Monday cut way to close for us- she has been there and there are big races on the 2013 schedule.

Okay enough of Monday- what did I do following the attacks?  Well there was a huge Facebook groundswell that Tuesday was wear a race shirt to work to show solidarity and support to our fellow runners and spectators who had been attacked.  What I chose was my Super Sunday 4 Miler shirt from Super Hero Events.  My logic was those brave folks who ran towards the bombs to help are superheros.
What I also did was use the Charity Miles app to give back as much as I could based on runs, rides and walks for the Achilles Foundation and Wounded Warrior.  Both groups focus on helping people who have been injured, especially amputees, lead normal lives and compete.  If you don't have charity miles and your walk, ride or run please download it now.  It is free and effortless to use.

Here is the link  http://www.charitymiles.org/  Please do it now.  It is worth it.

Lastly the best way to beat terrorism is head on- terrorist attack to create fear.  So to fight back, I raced on Saturday- well I race almost every weekend, but this saturday was a bit more special- an FU to those who use fear and violence instead of brains.  I ran in my local 10k- a race I have done for the last 3 years.  The course is definitely not my favorite- lots of turns and a long one mile climb at mile 5.  The race director is my least favorite RD.  But when the gun fires (took him 3 times to get it right...) it is go time.  The first 2 miles are slightly downhill and I let it hang out. I ended up doing an 11:25 for the first 2 and then averaged a 6:18 a mile pace.  While the last mile sucked- uphill into a head wind, I felt strong and finished in a 39:06- 7th OA and 1st in my AG (my 6th podium of the year and 3rd AG Win- THANK YOU Spinervals).  And crossing another finish line means we win.  Terrorists lose.  And I am racing next weekend too- Saturday and Sunday.  So We win again.  Not just USA, but everyone around the world who values freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment