Friday, April 5, 2013

Why I use Spinervals - Beside the fact they work.

So for you folks that read my Blog, I thought giving a bit of how I got into the sport and more importantly the reason I use Spinervals.

I have been racing Triathlons for 4 years and have completed all of the major distances- Sprint to Ironman. I did my first race at the Jerseyman Sprint and immediately was hooked- as many of us are after we cross that first finish line.  In my first year I ended up racing a total of 9 races- 7 sprint, 1 Olympic and 1 70.3 and based on that experience I decided to train for my first Ironman in 2011 at Beach2Battleship.  As part of my training build for B2B, I started using Spinervals to support my Winter training.  I distinctly remember the first time the video called for a standing 39/15 rep- you know time to run on the pedals.  The thought running through my mind was this is crazy hard.  But soon I grew to love my Spinervals DVD's and the value they provided in improving my bike split.  At B2B I road a 5:35 for the 112 miles- thanks in no small part to spinervals  (and a tail wind the last 30 miles).  My experience with Spinervals took a great turn with the introduction of the 2011 32Day Challenge and the creation of the Spinervals Cyclist page on Facebook.  Now we had a focused training block and a group of likeminded crazy folks to share our training success, challenges and perspective.  The 2012 season for me was a great success- I finished my second Ironman- this time IM NYC.  My Spinervals FB friends tracked and posted my race day performance- it was such an amazing experience for me to read through after that race to know my training buddies were so invested in the race with me!

Now heading in the race season for 2013 my training has been going great.  Coach Troy offered a bigger 32 Day challenge program which has directly translated into results for me.  My FTP is up 30 watts, I have PR'd in a Half Marathon, Won my AG in on Duathlon, and finished 3rd in another.  And have plans to race with a bunch of the Spinervals team at various different places this year.  My goal race this year is Ironman Lake Placid.  I will be doing the Spinervals LP training camp as a way to get some great experience on the course before race day.  And I am using Coach Troy's 16 week IM plan to ensure I am in the absolute peak performance on race day. 

My favorite spinervals workouts are 33- pain cave, OTR Lake Placid, 39 ABB at 10K & my first #6 the Zoot Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment