Saturday, December 3, 2011

Day 3 of the Spinervals 32 Day challenge

Today was the first big day on the schedule- 2:20 on the bike and 30 minutes of Strength training. Since I have been doing a pretty regular core workout 2-3 times a week, I decided to stick with the core drills (mostly crunches, flutter kicks and planks) instead of the strength workout.

Today's program on the trainer called for Spinervals 30.0 Muscular endurance. Unfortunately that is one of the titles I don't own (yet) so one of the alternates was Spinervals 13- Tough Love. And yeah it is tough! It is a 3 hour near LT sufferama with lots of long intervals. But the intervals aren't just shift into a gear and go for 30 minutes or so, instead there is lots of shifting, and standing. Yeah it is tough- I think I might have said that before. Standing when you are in a 53/23 sucks- there is no other way to say it!

At one point in the video Coach Troy said this hurts me (him) as much as its you (me)- I was ready to throw my laptop off of the ladder it sits on. If I had a remote I would have thrown it at my TV (fans of coach troy should get that one).

I decided before I started that I would ride 2:30- 2:20 doing the intervals and then a 10 minute cool down. However as I finished 2:20 I was about 4.5 miles short of 50. So I decided to stay another 15 minutes or so to cross that line. It was a good decision!

So my numbers for the day:

Bike
Time-2:36
Distance- 50.04 miles
Calories- 2761
AVG HR-130

Core 20 minutes
5X Crunch
5X L/R Oblique Crunch
5X Flutter Kick x 20 Seconds per set
3X Plank x 30 Seconds per plank
3X Pushups 10 per Set (i know easy)
3X Twists (20 Per Set)
3X Side Bends (20 Per Set)

On the ride I drank one bottle of Fluid Performance Mix (100 Calories + Electrolytes) and ate 2 Gels- 1 GU Roctane (100 Calories) and 1 Crank Sports e-gel (150 Calories). I have been using GU for 2 years and I like them, but got the Crank Sports Gel through an Active.com Schwaggle and since this is the off season I decided it was a good idea to experiment with different nutrition products. I did like the eGel although the flavor I had was Mountain Rush and it was a bit sweet for me (although with some water to dilute the flavor might work). More to come on the nutrition testing.

Post ride I drank a mix of Fluid Recovery (chocolate wave) and coffee, toast with Almond butter, a banana and an orange. Body and mind both feel great. Long workouts are hard, but feel awesome afterwards.

A note about FLUID- I have been using their recovery drink since last year and it works great for me. Fluid performance is a brand new product of theirs designed to be consumed during racing/ training and so far I really like it as it does not create any GI issues, especially during longer training days. Plus the founder is a real scientist who both knows his stuff and is happy to help with questions.

Lastly Active Schwaggle- think of groupon for triathletes.

Links to check out:
Spinervals- www.spinverals.com
Fluid Nutrition- www.livefluid.com
Crank Sports- www.cranksports.com
GU- www.guenergy.com
Active- www.active.com & schwaggle.active.com

1 comment: