Monday, December 5, 2011

Day 5 of the Spinervals 32 Day Challenge

Today was another recovery day planned. And if you read yesterday's post you will know that I did Spinervals 18- which was on the schedule for today. So at 4:45 this morning I rolled (more like drug myself) out of bed and made my way down to the pain cave. My plan was to do the planned workout and then help my wife get the kids ready for school. Then once they were off, I would drive to the gym to get a short swim in before heading to work.

When I got on the trainer, I was definitely feeling the increased effort of the last few days. During the first 30 minutes or so, I really felt like bailing on the swim plan, but as my body got into a solid routine, I started to feel good. Spinervals 18 is a solid recovery workout and the long intervals are great for working on solid form. One thing that I did wrong this morning was getting my garmin turned on correctly. Yesterday I ran after the ride and switched from bike to run. Today I started in Run, and switched on the fly to Bike- for some reason the garmin did not record mileage, although it was recording speed and cadence. Electronics can be fickle sometimes! So my mileage is an estimate based on my speed and time.

Once I finished the ride, I decided that yes I would swim. I really wanted to get some pool time since my last session was a week ago and I just got a new toy- the Finis SwimSense watch. The watch auto counts laps, distance and stroke type- can you say cool! And it worked pretty darn nicely- although I did not use any advanced features- just turned it on and hit the water. I did a series of different sets- some with paddles (which I really like using- great resistance) and some without. Total distance was 1225 yards- which I think is pretty accurate (it might of missed/ added a lap but I did not count- just focused on following the black line.

My legs & arms are definitely tired, but I am looking forward to tomorrow's set- big gear training. Tonight I am planning on getting a good night sleep- 4:45 will come early tomorrow!

Workout details
Bike:
Time- 1:20:04
Distance-24 miles
Calories- 650
AVG HR 134

Swim
Time- 24:18
Distance- 1225 yards
Calories- 239



For more details on the swimsense check out this link:

http://swimsense.finisinc.com

1 comment:

  1. Nice write up. I am doing the same challenge. www.thetriathlonlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete