Thursday, December 8, 2011

Day 8 of the Spinervals 32 Day Challenge

Today was an optional recovery day, or a technique high cadence short workout. There were a couple of different video choices and I was planning on using Spinervals 23 A Time saver.  But my computer did not want to complete the download in a timely fashion- so I made up my own set.

I started with an easy spin warm-up and then the usual 3X30 53/15 Spinervals warm-up set & then did a 5 minute 20Son/10Soff 39/15 spin.  During the 20 second on spin, my cadence was around 120-122.  I could hear Coach Troy saying fast legs, fast legs over and over in my mind.  Then a series of single leg drills with low resistance to practice pedaling through the entire pedal stroke.  For my main set I did a 15 minute ladder set- Started at at 53/15 and then jumped my way back in one minute intervals to a 53/25 and then back down to the the 53/15 following the same format.  As the resistance got easier, I increased cadence a bit, and on the way back down, the cadence went down.  I kept my HR in the Blue Zone the entire time. I was not pushing hard power at all.  As an example, my cadence normally at 53/15 is 85-88- today it was 77-80. Once I finished the main set, I did a 3 minute 20/10 at 39/15 and then a 53/17 set for 2:30 at a cadence of 90. 

Following the ride, I decided to do a short run- it is cold today, but sunny (although it did snow last night, the road was dry).  I did my normal 5K route- couple of short hills, but mostly flat.  I kept my pace slow and just enjoyed being outside in cold, crisp air- a perfect way to finish a great workout.

Here are the details:

Bike
Time- 48:26
Distance- 15.03 miles
AVG HR 122
Calories- 373

Run
Time- 27:52
Distance- 3.37 miles
AVG HR 155
Calories 330

Tomorrow is a big effort day- Spinervals 22 Timetrialpallozza - 1 1/2 hrs of suffering enjoyment! And I might swim too.

Lastly I am in process of trying to find a new goto running shoe.  The last 2 years, my race and training shoe has been the Saucony Kinvera- and I loved them!  But like any good thing that ended. The Kinerva 2 is much different.  I wear a 9 in the Kinveras, but a 9 in the Kinvera 2 is too small (learned the hard way for sure!) and the 9.5 feels squirley or sorta loose.  And I run with elastic laces that allow me to speed through T2- so the 9.5 size in the Kinvera 2 is not an option and I am working on finding a new shoe.

The last few weeks I have been running in the Brooks Connect Pure.  And I have mixed reviews.  During the run it is pretty good, but that is with socks and taking my time to put them on.  When I did a run without socks- there were a couple of areas that started to get a bit hot around the tongue within a couple of miles.  And while I have them laced with elastic bungee laces- they do not slip right on- you really need 10-15 seconds a shoe to get them comfortably on your foot.  And for me I don't wear socks for Sprint to Half Iron and my T2 times are typically 25-30 seconds - so spending that much time putting on shoes that are likely going to give me some hotspots means they are not going to make the cut.  For a full Iron, they might be an option since I do wear socks (CEP compressions are my usual choice) and T2 is a slower process for sure so spending a few extra seconds per shoe is okay.


I do have 2 pairs of K-Swiss shoes coming- the K-ruuz 1.5 and the blade light run and I plan on giving each a good try out- sockless, bungee laces, T2 style etc and will post a review of each.


But what I am looking for from everybody is their suggestions on similar shoes to consider.  I have a  neutral stride, with a mid foot strike.  My foot size is about 42.5-43 cm- so a 9-9.5 is my typical shoe size.  I am open to trying any brand, except for Nike (I don't agree with their athlete sponsorships choices so I don't buy their gear).  Thanks in advance for any advice!








No comments:

Post a Comment