Sunday, December 4, 2011

Day 4 of the Spinervals 32 Day Challenge

Today was a planned recovery day. Not a day off, but just an easier day doing some solid blue zone aerobic work. The specific schedule called for 1 hour using Spinervals 28- which I don't yet have. So I decided to use Spinervals 18 (which I just got) for the first time- I really liked this session. Long intervals with some shifting, but perfect for staying aero, working on pedaling technique, mental focus and maintaining specific cadence. I have to say this is now one of my favorites and I get to do it again tomorrow since that is the specific workout on the plan (guess I should have read ahead- oh well). I felt really good on today's ride. And was able to keep my HR right in the sweet spot: 138-142 for pretty much the entire session.

So at the end of the ride, I threw on my running shoes and did a short 2 mile run. It was the first run since Thanksgiving and I really wanted to test out my left knee without wearing a knee sleeve. I had tweaked the knee during a porta potty stop at mile 100 during Beach2Battleship at the end of October. And since that race, I have been wearing a neoprene knee sleeve. I don't like wearing the knee sleeve at all- and during the Thanksgiving Turkey Trot 5 K, my left calf hurt a bit during the run. So I took a week off from running to let the knee and calf heal (no pain on the bike). I am glad I took the break (I am learning!) as today I felt very relaxed and pretty much pain free on the run. I did not run too hard- pretty much a 7:58 pace, but was happy to get back on the road (it was cold but nice enough to run outside).

I likely won't be running all that much during the next month- probably 2 times per week and likely 3-5 miles at time, but running rocks! And after taking a relatively easy month following Beach2Battleship, it has been great to get back to some focused and higher intensity training.

Here are the details of today's work:
Ride
Time- 1:05:26
Distance- 21.77 miles
Calories-689
AVG HR- 134

Run
Time - 17:39
Distance- 2.21 miles
Calories- 205
AVG HR- 150

Tomorrow is a repeat of today- Spinervals 18. And I am planning on getting some pool time too.

No comments:

Post a Comment